Friday, June 10, 2005

seeds part 2: Bard College

I can pinpoint the exact moment when I decided to go to this conference -- when I saw a picture of Fisher Arts Center at Bard College against a beautiful green lawn. It made my heart sing. While I was there it kept reminding me of the Disney Concert Hall, and unsurprisingly Fisher Center was designed by the same architect, Frank Gehry.

As I said before, the conference was set up in collaboration with Bard College. More specifically, the Institute of Advanced Theology at Bard. Their website can tell you about them more elegantly than I can. The founder and director, Dr. Bruce Chilton, did some keynote speeches and workshops at the conference, and he is doing some amazing work in promoting understanding between religions. The institute has done some groundbreaking study on James, the brother of Jesus, and Dr. Chilton is writing a book on the gospel according to Mary (Magdalene). I find his stuff fascinating and plan to read some of it as soon as I finish reading all the other stuff I'm planning to read. :P

I don't have many regrets, but this college makes me wish I'd done my degree here.

No comments: